Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

the perfect French fry






Hands up who doesn't like French Fries? .... No!  Really?  go on, I don't believe you!

I know no one who doesn't like French fries or "frites" [pronounced freet].  I'm not talking about the things your kids eat at McDonalds, or the oven ready fries you can buy from the supermarket -

 Non merci!

I am talking about the real thing, home-made,  'des bonnes frites maison'.  I made some for lunch today, but took too long to get my camera to the table, and by the time I thought about pictures the serving plate was empty!  That is the way things go here ... sigh!





There are as many recipes for home made fries, as there are shapes of potato; here is how I make mine, let me know what you think.

To make enough fries for a family lunch for 4 people, I peel a good kilo or 3 lbs of large potatoes.  I choose a variety that is slightly floury, slightly sweet in flavour.  New potatoes don't work for this.  Apparently if a potato has been too cold, then the starch content alters and it loses some of its sweetness.

Personally I wash the potatoes before cutting them into the long chip shape.  Most recipes tell you to wash them once they are cut, I find that simply blotting the raw chips with absorbent paper before cooking is sufficient.


I have a proper fryer with a drop in basket, but generally for small to medium quantities of chips I use a deep pan.

I heat up almost 2" deep of vegetable oil and some duck fat in the pan.   I like to use the duck fat for its flavour, and for that particular texture it gives the potato.

When the oil is bubbling hot, I drop one chip in to see if it starts 'singing' straight away.  If it does then I gently slide a couple of handfuls of chips in to the pan, make sure they are separated from each other and well spread out, then leave to bubble for about 6 minutes.  

The thinner the chip, the quicker they will be to cook - hum,  pretty obvious!

I am partisan to the twice-cooked frite.  That is to say that I half-cook all my frites, until they are just beginning to turn golden.  This allows me to cook them in batches.  As each batch begins to turn a little in colour, I lift the chips from the oil and put them in a heatproof dish to wait.



Just before we are ready to eat, once I've made sure that the oil is still bubbling hot (but not smoking) I put all the chips back into the oil, pushing them around gently so they are evenly distributed in the pan.  This second cooking is very quick to react, and they should be watched carefully until they get to the colour you prefer - light to mid-golden in this house.

Lift with a slotted spoon onto a plate with absorbent paper, then transfer onto a warm serving dish, bring to the table and be prepared to be worshipped -




home made frites ensure instant goddess status .....

and that's a promise!

Bon appetit!




Failing my own pics due to the frites being eaten way too fast, I thank  La Recette de Cuisine.com; Kirbie Cravings; Kitchy Kitchen and Maison & Demeure  for their excellent pictures.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Labels

'by invitation only' (9) 9031 (1) advice to Daphne (6) Agent Gallery Chicago (1) alberto nicolau (1) ANZAC (1) apron (1) art (24) Australia (3) authentic french (6) autumn (4) award (3) baccalaureate (1) bathroom (3) batttling with blogger (1) bed linen (5) bedroom (23) being ruby (2) black and white (1) blogging (19) blogging and art (5) Blogiversary (1) blue france (1) books (4) brocante (103) brocante tours (23) cap ferrat (1) cause (15) ce mercredi je mange (32) ceramics (2) chairs (16) chalk paint (1) charlie (2) chateau d'emalleville (5) chateau de miserey (1) chateau de vendeuvre (1) chateau miserey (3) chateaux (4) chatting with you (9) chatting wth you (2) chère Charlotte (2) children (3) china cupboards (2) chocolates (3) christmas (61) christmas wishes (2) claude monet (1) Cloches (1) coffee tables (1) color (85) colors (2) corsica (2) creating in Normandy (2) Creating Vintage Charm (1) Curiosities (7) cushion (2) daffodils (2) debauve et gallais (1) Decorating (44) Design (36) designing tips (58) desks (1) disappointment (1) DIY (31) dogs (35) dolls house (1) Droog (1) dwell (2) easter (1) entertaining (13) escape (29) espadrilles (1) Ethnic Chic (15) etsy (5) Etsy Shopping (30) event (3) exams (1) exhibition (3) fabrice alberti (3) family (9) family life (18) Favorite Before and Afters (2) Feathered Nest Friday (56) Feathered Nest Friday Holiday (6) fiction (15) FIFI O'NEILL (1) fireplaces (1) flags (1) Flea Finds (30) Flickr (2) flip clock (1) flower arrangements (57) foire a tout (3) food (2) forest (4) France (40) free downloads (1) french architecture (62) french bed linen (4) french dressing (2) French fashion (5) French food (49) French holidays (5) french houses (76) french living (58) French men (2) French style (35) french traditions (26) french village life (8) French women (9) FrenchByDesign (27) friends (1) fun prints (15) galette des rois (4) gardening (3) gardens (14) giveaway (18) giverny (5) good read (4) grain sacks (1) grand palais (1) graphic fairy (2) Greece (1) growing older (3) guest artist (1) Guest Cottage (1) halloween (1) Halloween Kmart (1) Happy New Year (1) haven in paris (1) holiday (17) Holidays (11) Home (92) home made cakes (1) home office (9) horses (25) hostess gift (1) Hotze Eisma (1) house for sale (17) house hunting (1) House Tour (167) impressionist (1) in our valley (54) industrial (52) inside my house (35) Inspiration (531) Inspirations (12) interiors (14) Italy (4) Joss & Main (1) Kids Corner (14) kitchen (9) Klelly Wieck (1) Kmart (2) Kmart Outdoor Living (3) lamps (12) landscapes (2) Las Vegas (1) life (4) lily of the valley (1) living in France (8) lLving France (1) loot shoot (48) Lowes Creative Ideas (1) lunch at my house (3) maison for sale (7) me (46) media (21) mention in a magazine (3) military (2) mix (9) MoMA Store (1) mon bouquet du jour (40) monogrammes (3) moodbaord (27) Morocco (6) my french country brocante (5) my French girlfriends (10) my garden (54) Nature (20) next month in Paris (3) normandy (5) original shelving (24) our guest cottage (9) Outdoor Living (1) paint colour (2) painted furniture (1) painting (4) parenting (3) paris (42) parisienne farmgilr (1) Pets (1) philosphy (1) photography (102) photographyp (1) picnic (1) pinned (9) polo (1) ponies (1) pool balls (1) Portugal (1) Post Road Vintage (1) project genesis (1) provence (18) RACHEL ASHWELL (1) recipe (1) recipes (29) recycling (2) redesign (1) Referral (1) Remodel (8) remodeling (49) rescued vintage (57) respelido (1) Romantic Homes Magazine (1) salon maison et objet (1) San Diego (1) Sandbox (10) scandinavia (59) Seasons (9) Shabby (1) SHABBY CHIC (3) shop vintage (45) shopping in Paris (4) shopping list (46) short story (3) shutters (2) sia (1) sissinghurst (1) south of France (17) Spain (13) sponsorship (1) st tropez (1) staying in our valley (5) steel locker baskets (1) styling magazine (6) summer holidays (1) sunday show and tell (1) Swedish interiors (17) table settings (4) tablescapes (3) Taverne agency (2) tea-time (1) teenage daughters (3) teenagers (9) thank you (1) thanksgiving (3) this week we're eating .. (20) toile de jouy (1) Tours (2) travel (9) Treasure Finds (124) trend (51) trouvais (1) turner (1) tutorial (11) Tutorials (5) typography (182) Vacation (7) vallee de l'eure (9) vfrench traditions (1) vintage linens (4) visiting france (3) visiting paris (1) weddings (1) when I grow up (3) white (56) william wordsworth (1) your opinion please (10)
 
Powered by Blogger.