Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Diamond In The Rough

Is this a Diamond in the Rough?


Maybe...
To some it shows great potential.
To others...
 it should go to the dump.
I have what some might call an interesting definition of 'potential'
I see potential to a fault.
Pieces that really should be tossed find their way home with me to
be repurposed, re used, re discovered.

I found this French Sofa and it's matching chair on craigslist and absolutely fell in love
There was just something about it.
Something so feminine and timeless... that I managed to overlook quite a bit.

Stained, way beyond salvageable red velvet fabric,
chips in the frame and springs coming through underneath.
From a usable standpoint- a disaster.


Ever the 'potential' visionary,
 I was somehow able to see beyond all the work
the smells, the grunge...
I saw a gorgeous carved frame, curvy arms and the perfect petite size
Within 1/2 hour of first looking at it,
I had reupholstered it in my mind
in a bold red and white buffalo check fabric.


It was a perfect French country piece.

After convincing my husband,
 I carted it home and ordered yards of fabric.
Then began the task of taking off the old.
Wearing thick gloves and a mask
I pulled the pieces off carefully to be able to keep them for patterns for the new pieces.
There was old cotton batting lining each section and TONS of horsehair stuffing.
I re-used the horsehair (after a couple SUPER DUPER SIZE cans of Lysol and bottle of Febreze)
but replaced the cotton batting.


Next were the old spring filled cushions.
They were much better quality than what you find today in plain foam
so I decided to keep them.
I pulled off the old batting, rewrapped them in new
and made new covers edged in red cording.


It is just as gorgeous as I imagined it would be in the red check.
As much as I can tire of patterns and colors and want a change- 
this has stayed a favorite in it's sassy bold look.



(This was originally published back in May of 2010 when I was first blogging
 and was one of my first posts.
 I added a couple of larger better photos at the end of the post- 
Can you believe the others were taken with my Iphone and that was the camera I used  for all my photos on my blog until  last Spring? 
Insanity.)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Labels

'by invitation only' (9) 9031 (1) advice to Daphne (6) Agent Gallery Chicago (1) alberto nicolau (1) ANZAC (1) apron (1) art (24) Australia (3) authentic french (6) autumn (4) award (3) baccalaureate (1) bathroom (3) batttling with blogger (1) bed linen (5) bedroom (23) being ruby (2) black and white (1) blogging (19) blogging and art (5) Blogiversary (1) blue france (1) books (4) brocante (103) brocante tours (23) cap ferrat (1) cause (15) ce mercredi je mange (32) ceramics (2) chairs (16) chalk paint (1) charlie (2) chateau d'emalleville (5) chateau de miserey (1) chateau de vendeuvre (1) chateau miserey (3) chateaux (4) chatting with you (9) chatting wth you (2) chère Charlotte (2) children (3) china cupboards (2) chocolates (3) christmas (61) christmas wishes (2) claude monet (1) Cloches (1) coffee tables (1) color (85) colors (2) corsica (2) creating in Normandy (2) Creating Vintage Charm (1) Curiosities (7) cushion (2) daffodils (2) debauve et gallais (1) Decorating (44) Design (36) designing tips (58) desks (1) disappointment (1) DIY (31) dogs (35) dolls house (1) Droog (1) dwell (2) easter (1) entertaining (13) escape (29) espadrilles (1) Ethnic Chic (15) etsy (5) Etsy Shopping (30) event (3) exams (1) exhibition (3) fabrice alberti (3) family (9) family life (18) Favorite Before and Afters (2) Feathered Nest Friday (56) Feathered Nest Friday Holiday (6) fiction (15) FIFI O'NEILL (1) fireplaces (1) flags (1) Flea Finds (30) Flickr (2) flip clock (1) flower arrangements (57) foire a tout (3) food (2) forest (4) France (40) free downloads (1) french architecture (62) french bed linen (4) french dressing (2) French fashion (5) French food (49) French holidays (5) french houses (76) french living (58) French men (2) French style (35) french traditions (26) french village life (8) French women (9) FrenchByDesign (27) friends (1) fun prints (15) galette des rois (4) gardening (3) gardens (14) giveaway (18) giverny (5) good read (4) grain sacks (1) grand palais (1) graphic fairy (2) Greece (1) growing older (3) guest artist (1) Guest Cottage (1) halloween (1) Halloween Kmart (1) Happy New Year (1) haven in paris (1) holiday (17) Holidays (11) Home (92) home made cakes (1) home office (9) horses (25) hostess gift (1) Hotze Eisma (1) house for sale (17) house hunting (1) House Tour (167) impressionist (1) in our valley (54) industrial (52) inside my house (35) Inspiration (531) Inspirations (12) interiors (14) Italy (4) Joss & Main (1) Kids Corner (14) kitchen (9) Klelly Wieck (1) Kmart (2) Kmart Outdoor Living (3) lamps (12) landscapes (2) Las Vegas (1) life (4) lily of the valley (1) living in France (8) lLving France (1) loot shoot (48) Lowes Creative Ideas (1) lunch at my house (3) maison for sale (7) me (46) media (21) mention in a magazine (3) military (2) mix (9) MoMA Store (1) mon bouquet du jour (40) monogrammes (3) moodbaord (27) Morocco (6) my french country brocante (5) my French girlfriends (10) my garden (54) Nature (20) next month in Paris (3) normandy (5) original shelving (24) our guest cottage (9) Outdoor Living (1) paint colour (2) painted furniture (1) painting (4) parenting (3) paris (42) parisienne farmgilr (1) Pets (1) philosphy (1) photography (102) photographyp (1) picnic (1) pinned (9) polo (1) ponies (1) pool balls (1) Portugal (1) Post Road Vintage (1) project genesis (1) provence (18) RACHEL ASHWELL (1) recipe (1) recipes (29) recycling (2) redesign (1) Referral (1) Remodel (8) remodeling (49) rescued vintage (57) respelido (1) Romantic Homes Magazine (1) salon maison et objet (1) San Diego (1) Sandbox (10) scandinavia (59) Seasons (9) Shabby (1) SHABBY CHIC (3) shop vintage (45) shopping in Paris (4) shopping list (46) short story (3) shutters (2) sia (1) sissinghurst (1) south of France (17) Spain (13) sponsorship (1) st tropez (1) staying in our valley (5) steel locker baskets (1) styling magazine (6) summer holidays (1) sunday show and tell (1) Swedish interiors (17) table settings (4) tablescapes (3) Taverne agency (2) tea-time (1) teenage daughters (3) teenagers (9) thank you (1) thanksgiving (3) this week we're eating .. (20) toile de jouy (1) Tours (2) travel (9) Treasure Finds (124) trend (51) trouvais (1) turner (1) tutorial (11) Tutorials (5) typography (182) Vacation (7) vallee de l'eure (9) vfrench traditions (1) vintage linens (4) visiting france (3) visiting paris (1) weddings (1) when I grow up (3) white (56) william wordsworth (1) your opinion please (10)
 
Powered by Blogger.